Monday, September 22, 2014

Help Me to Be Your Sister, Lord


By Beth DeCristofaro

He said to them in reply, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it.” (Luke 8:21)

Piety
Open my eyes, Lord
Help me to see your face
Open my eyes, Lord
Help me to see.

Open my ears, Lord
Help me to hear your voice
Open my ears, Lord
Help me to hear.

Open my heart, Lord
Help me to love like you
Open my heart, Lord
Help me to love.

I live within you
Deep in your heart, oh, love
I live within you
Rest now in me.
        (Jessie Manisuban, 1988)

Study
For dessert yesterday I ate a dark chocolate Dove “bite.”  Pretty tasty.  Inside the wrapper was written in delicate script “Indulge your every whim, love, Dove.”  Not so tasty.

This saying is geared to sell more product by telling me how important I am and how much I deserve this bite of chocolate - and more.  Ironically, this sugary chocolate has salt in it.  While it flavors the candy it also points out the irony that such a sugary saying can be bitter if it is followed.  Putting myself as the center of my life edges Jesus out.  But it is a pretty common approach to how we live our lives.  Jesus, rather, asks us to come together with Him in the breaking of the bread and to be bread for others.

Right now there is a women’s team in formation, a men’s team ready to go.  Candidates await and all are seeking God, seeking to hear God’s word more fully and act on it more completely every day.  Cursillo is one of the touchstones which pave my path, helping me follow more closely in God’s footsteps.  My other flagstones include a dynamic spiritual director, a supportive and loving husband and family, Eucharist, prayer and a vocation which feeds me.  I, personally, need such touchstones because it is just too easy to choose Dove candy, my creature comforts, ignoring the plight of others and other easy outs.   Thanks, Dove, for reminding me how tiny and transient a self-centered life can be. 

Action
A Cursillo weekend is such a moving and fun way to have eyes and ears opened to God anew.  In what way are you supporting the teams and candidates for the upcoming weekends?  Do you know of potential candidates for the October and December weekends?  Speak to your brother / sister about taking part.  Check out the Cursillo website for details.  http://www.arlingtoncursillo.org/141st-womens-weekend/

No comments: